Thursday, December 30, 2004

Mother Nature....

I'm amazed with the Tsunami that faced Thailand and Sri Lanka (India), 110.000 deaths and they haven't finished searching already, plus the people that is going to die because of the bad conditions of the water, food and environment. It makes no sense for me that this is only happening to poor countries; first the hurricane this year in Haiti (Also Florida but the casualities weren't as high as in Haiti), and now this tsunami in Sri Lanka and India. I know that this is nobody's fault, but for example a lot of deaths could be avoided if Sri Lanka and Thailand have had installed tsunami detectors, with just one hour people would have had the required time to evacuate to a safe zone. I make a call to the developed and rich countries to sponsor the construction of this kind of devices instead of spending their money on war (not in all the cases).
With mother nature there are some things that can be avoided if detected on time, and those posibilities exist these days, especially for tsunamis, like the pacific ocean that's very well protected but why ?? Because a big part of the United States is there, and this country has plenty of money to maintain this, but what about the rest of the world? If they have the posibility to help others that are not able to do it by themselves, why not give them a hand and avoid all of this killing ? I'm not blaming you USA, but I think that there are more important things that war right now. I think is time to stop thinking just about ourselves and think in the other people that live with us; from inside to outside, I mean, let's be proactive and don't wait for the people to change, let's start the change by ourselves.
On the beginning I was going to do my traineeship on Sri Lanka, but later on I decided to come to Switzerland, the reasons doesn't matter right now, that's life, I feel lucky, but not happy because of that.

I was thinking also that I live in a city of 120.000 inhabitants..., and it's like if I wake up tomorrow and everybody is death except me. That's a lot of people ! How many inhabitants does your city have ?.

Lots of countries and companies are giving money to help this crisis, also helping with food and other materials, which is really good, but the problem is that nothing is being really coordinated, they know that this items are comming but they don't know when, which makes it more difficult to plan and give a better management to the situation !! People is dying out there right now !! I think that it's time to create a world organization just for this kind of disasters. I think that there's not even one country prepared to face this kind of disasters, specially third world ones.

No comments: