Monday, August 14, 2006

Instead of blaming DO something..

This past weekend I went to Carambolas for our monthly work there. It happens that we gathered 110 kids to show them a movie, it was "Nemo", they enjoyed it very much, most of them haven´t had the chance to see it before (Most of them doesn´t have a TV at home). However, after the movie we gave them something to eat, it was a piece of bread with "Zoom!", most of them were very educated doing the line and waiting for the others, but there was this kid in particular which didn´t had any respect for his friends, for the people that was there, not even with me.... He did the line three times, in the third I asked him very nicely to please leave the line because it wasn´t fair what he was doing, he yelled to me that this was his first time in the line, so I replied: No, it is not, please leave it... In the end the boy left the line and started to play very strong with his friends (It was a fight simulation I Guess), so one of his friends hit him a little bit hard, so he replies with a punch in the face of the other boy and then he throws him to the floor and hits him again.., in that moment I went and separated them..., I thought that the other boy was injured but he wasn´t.., and he told me that they were playing.., that did amazed me again!
I started to think about what could be the future of this violent kid, and to be honest I don´t see a clear one for him..., and I don´t blame him.., some of this kids have a lot of violence inside their families, fathers that hit their wifes, sons that hit their mothers or yell at them, kids that are the hole day in front of a TV without nobody who can guide him, kids who are the whole day on the streets sometimes surrounded by bad influences, kids that probably doesn´t receive a hug or a "I love you" quite often, kids that are missing love, kids that are missing comprenhension, kids that are missing affect, kids that are missing a family, kids that are missing oportunities..., kids that are missing everything...., so my question again: How can I blame him...? should be translated in: How can I help him? And the answer came inmediatly..., and it was what I was doing that day there..
In the other hand, when I was giving the food to this kids, there was a very particular girl which came, I recognized her and I asked if this was her second time in the line, she replied that yes, it was her second time, so I said to her that I wasn´t able to give her more food because if I did there would be other kids that wouldn´t be able to eat.., she understood. I finished my labor and went to the kitchen to drink something.., and after 10 minutes she came to the kitchen with 2 of her sisters and asked me again for a piece of bread.., so I started to talk to them and asked them if they have eaten something today, they said "no". The little girl was looking at the bread like the most precious thing on earth, I felt just sooo bad because in my entire life there hasn´t been not even one day where I have woke up and haven´t had anything to eat.. I took one bread and gave it to them but before that I told them to hide it and eat it somewhere else because otherwise the other kids would realize about it and then that wouldn´t be fair with them... This girl touched my just soo deep...

The picture above has one of the nicest views of Medellín.

No comments: